
Our beautiful little girl had her first ER visit on Thursday. She had been dealing with diarrhea for several days and then lost all interest in food. I tried and tried to get her to take a bottle, but she just wouldn't/couldn't. Brayleigh was showing signs of dehydration. So I packed up the kids and headed off to the ER. They got us in quickly and drew some blood. Then attempted to put an IV in. After EIGHT failed attempts of inserting the needle and fishing around... they finally called in a NICU nurse. She was able to get an IV started on her second try. That makes TEN poor stabs on our Brayleigh Ann. The IV was incredible stubborn, barely in, they had to hold her hand in place just to get the fluids to enter correctly. The IV only lasted for one bag, they wanted to do several more. The doctors then suggested I take her home, offer her food almost consistently, and pray I don't end up back in the ER. If I had, we would have been admitted into the Pediatric wing. We left the hospital with a strict Pedialite diet for 24 hours and she needed to wet her diaper within eight hours after discharge. On the ninth hour, we got our first wet diaper! She has been slowly improving since.
When I made the decision to take her into the ER, I really thought I was overreacting and we'd be send home. So I wasn't too worried about bring Buxton. However, we stayed and Sissy was tortured... Buxton had an extremely hard time seeing his baby Sissy held down and screaming. After all Buxton has been threw with his two surgeries, he didn't deserve to see that. So luckily, we have great friends here, we were able to call on.
Although she is eating OK, she is still having a hard time. I have no doubt in my mind, she can remember what happened to her. She is struggling with sleeping right now, falling asleep is difficult, takes time, and consists of me rocking her (she used to insist on NOT being rocked, rather put down to fall asleep on her own). She wakes up all throughout the night, screaming. She hardly lets me put her down and is being a cuddle bug, which is very unlike our Annie. I have every intention of getting back the old Brayleigh! As most of you know, Buxton failed in this department!!! She is on the road to recovery.
As the post below states, Buxton too was sick. He had a high fever and was miserable. Luckily, this was a 24 hour bug. He was his normal 'terrible two' self by the time we went into the ER!
When Matthew and I went through the surgery mess with Buxton, I was a wreck. But I had Matthew to lean on and I abused that! Even though this was miniature in comparison, it was still our baby on that table. I think us women are strong when we need to be, but when we can release our feelings into tears and onto our husband's shoulders, WE DO! This was my time to be strong, and I think I passed! I was able to hold it all together this time around.
No comments:
Post a Comment