Sunday, July 12, 2009

Dad's Turn

"Wow, what handsome men."

I can only assume those were the first words out of your mouth. On the right is Elliot. He is part of the 1-1.5% of soldiers in the Army with both intelligence and a solid marriage and family. That guy on the left is the medic that you all know and love. As you can see, due to the changing tempo in Iraq, I have stopped carrying my rifle as my pistol and trauma shears are sufficient. What a sad time.

Each day brings something new and exciting. Examples...the AC goes out during the steady 120 degree days. Our only source of clean laundry breaks or our bags are returned still soaked. Latrines are clogged and sewage is backing up. The water in the showers actually smells worse than the sweaty shirts, socks and underwear you take off. Now during the early years over here, anything other than a latrine dug out of the ground, showers with water bottles or baby wipes and fanning yourself for a breeze was a fantasy. But things have changed quite a bit and I feel no guilt in complaining. Chels hears some of this and feels so sorry for me...well I invite you to scroll down and read up on her own version of my troubles.

We each have certain things we can tolerate and things that drive us near insanity. I can live like this, she can't leave her hair straightener. She can be a 24/7 mommy, whereas I would have posted Buxton on Craigslist by now.

I'm coming to see the reality behind the "Daddy's little girl" idea. If Buxton were to go to the hospital I'd be more along the lines of "suck it up boy", but during little Ray's recent hospitalization, her old man was a wreck. I hear that some dumb nurse takes 45 minutes to get an IV in her little hand while I'm over here sticking myself and everyone else. Sure she's an infant but dad's don't like excuses. I dare to say some one may have ended up with a pack of ice over their eye that night and it sure wouldn't have been me. When Chels and I are on the phone, Brayleigh screams, Chels gets frustrated and I say "oh my beautiful little angel is getting hungry". My wife's silence on the other end of the line lets me know I'm trouble. Oops.

Elections are in October and soon after we should be getting ready to leave. There's no actual date to come home, but theres also no plan to extend. So, there's the word on that.

Chels and the kids are looking forward to coming home and spending time with everyone. I am very jealous about the things I'll be missing out on but my time will come. Thank you all for your prayers and your support.

1 comment:

  1. What a hansome man - especially the one on the left! Of course, as your mom I;m a bit biased.
    Matt - I so enjoy to hear you speak through your written words.Your descriptions take us there with you and in this case, we feel your pain. Wish I could take care of your laundry once again.

    You have been so strong, both in what you have had to experience there and how you've had to leave that precious little family of yours. Duty calls for a time and and I am very proud of your committment.

    We too, look forward to your time to be home for a while. Until then, we will enjoy Chelse and the babies these next couple of months and have that closer connection with you. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete